Referee Health and Safety
As part of U.S. Soccer's commitment to health and safety, our medical and referee experts have prepared
the following recommendations for the referee community and incorporated them into our referee
In the interest of health and safety, U.S. Soccer recommends that match officials practice the following
skin care guidelines:
5836 Bartholow Road
Eldersburg, MD 21784
• Consider wearing sunscreen daily on areas of exposed skin.
• Apply skin protection factor (SPF) of 30 or greater 15 minutes prior to being exposed to the sun.
• At a minimum, reapply every 2 hours or more frequently if sweating extensively.
• Take advantage of halftime to reapply.
• Consider wearing long sleeves (or UV protective clothing) if applicable during high sun exposure
• Periodically (once a year) review exposed skin for any changes or growths and consult your doctor
• Caps may be worn so long as the cap does not endanger the safety of the official or the players.
• The cap should be consistent with the referee uniform and not conflict with the uniform colors worn
by either team.
• The cap may not bear any commercial marks or logos.